What is a quilt appraisal and why should you have one?
There are three basic types of appraisals:
- Insurance Appraisal: determines the replacement value of your quilt or garment
- Fair Market Appraisal: determines the market value – that figure arrived upon between a willing buyer and a willing seller, both with knowledge
- Tax Donation Appraisal: for someone who wants to donate a piece for any reason to any type of organization or place, or to establish a value for an estate/family, often after a death
At Dallas Quilt Celebration, appraisals are conducted for insurance replacement value unless otherwise specified.
Why would you want an appraisal for insurance purposes?
You or someone you love probably put a lot of work into your quilted creation. However, if the quilt were to incur damage, be stolen or simply get lost in transit somewhere, without the precise documentation of an appraisal, you may not be fairly compensated for your loss.
American Quilter’s Society (AQS) Certified Appraisers will be available by appointment during the show to give written appraisals of quilts and quilted garments. The Appraisal Committee will schedule appraisal appointments to be conducted every half hour.
The appraisal process is not a critique of your work. Therefore, it is not necessary for you to be present for the appraisal. The completed appraisal will be mailed to you within ten days of the close of the show. (The appraisers have both communicated to us that they need the extra time to do a better job with outside library sources. They never know in advance what they are going to see at their table.) If you are bringing the item to be appraised but do not wish to lug the item(s) around all day, please take advantage of the show “package check” which will be near the appraisal area.
To schedule an appraisal…
1) Download the Appraisal Request Form
2) Return the following items to the address listed below:
- A completed copy of this form for each quilt/garment you wish to have appraised
- $50.00 per appraisal requested (check payable to Quilter’s Guild of Dallas)
- A self-addressed stamped envelope (#10 long) with 71¢ postage attached, OR include $1.00 per appraisal to cover the cost of return envelope, postage and handling
Dallas Quilt Celebration 2020
c/o Valerie Salter
7619 Lancaster Gate
Frisco, TX 75035