Mini Quilt Auction
For more than 20 years, on Saturday afternoon, the show has boasted the sounds of a live auction. This year, proceeds from our annual Mini Quilt Auction will directly support the Quilter’s Guild of Dallas in order to continue our mission to preserve the heritage of quilting, to be a source of information and inspiration, to perpetuate a high quality of excellence in quilting and related arts, and to be a gathering for people with a common interest.
The Auction for 2023 will be on Saturday, March 11 at 1:30pm.
How You Can Help
You can help to make the auction an exciting event by
- Donating one (or more!) of your quilted creations
- Purchasing one or more of the small works of quilted art at the live auction
- Encouraging friends and neighbors to bid
Create an original design, make a mini from your favorite pattern, or perhaps be inspired by the Show Chair’s Theme “Into the Garden”
Members of the Guild may turn in their donation form and quilts at the general meetings or mail them to the auction chair. To be included in the live auction, the quilt should be received by February 2, 2023.
The Quilter’s Guild of Dallas, Inc. is a non-profit organization so your donation to the Guild is tax-deductible. However, your deduction for quilt donation is typically limited to material costs only. In other words, you cannot deduct “fair market value.”
That said, following the auction, a receipt in the amount of the auctioned price of your donation will be mailed to you.
Rules & Guidelines
- Your quilt must represent a full-sized quilt. It need not be “to scale,” but must be scaled down.
- Maximum size for a finished miniature quilt will be 25″ square (no one side of a quilt can be larger than 25″).
- Interior blocks can be no larger than 4”. Please note that exceptions are made for original designs, wholecloth, art quilts and medallion quilts.
- Designs using fusible products are acceptable, but raw edges of fabric must be appropriately secured; quilting stitches, satin-stitching, or embellishments are examples.
- DO NOT use fabric paint(s) and/or pens to simulate stitching or otherwise “shortcut” the quiltmaking process.
- A sleeve must be sewn to the top of the back of the quilt. The finished sleeve must be 2.5″ wide by the width of the quilt.
- Attach a 2″ x 3″ muslin label to the lower corner on the back side of the quilt. Include your name, year made, name of quilt and any other appropriate information. Information should be stitched or written with a Pigma permanent pen.
- ALL donations for the live auction must be received by February 2, 2023.
- An entry form must accompany each submitted quilt. Please include as much information about your quilt as possible, to give the auctioneer “selling points” to use during the sale of your quilt. Feel free to attach an additional sheet of paper if needed.
Donations are welcome from all! You DO NOT have to be a member of the Quilter’s Guild of Dallas to donate a miniature to the Miniature Quilt Auction.